To teach the basic principles behind counseling and our goal as the counselor.
- 1 hr Study/Lecture
- 30 Minutes of Q&A
- 1.5 hr total
- Topical Teaching
Please have a look at the course schedule below
Week One – The Goal of Counseling
- What counseling is not and other misconceptions
- What is the goal of counseling?
- Christ our Counselor
Week Two – The Counselor’s tools
- The word of God in Counseling
- The necessity of Prayer in Counseling
- The Holy Spirit and Counseling
Week Three – Guidelines for Counseling
- What does the process look like?
- The counselor as a listener
- Counseling the Opposite Gender
Week Four – Counseling and Unbeliever
- How does it differ?
- Do I still counsel them the same way?
- What is my goal?
Week Five – Counseling Couples
- Tips for counseling couples
- Marriage and family issues
- Dangers in couples counseling
Week Six – Counseling Children
- Tips for counseling children
- Unique issues to be aware of and how to deal with them
- How much do I share with their parents?
Week Seven – Navigating Opposition
- What if they don’t want to hear what I’m saying?
- Tips for keeping people calm
- What if my counsel appears to make things worse?
Week Eight – When to Stop Counseling / Resources in Counseling
- How do I know when I should stop counseling someone?
- What should I do when I am out of my depth (mental health issues, issues requiring professional help, etc…)
- What resources would you recommend in counseling?